In 2016, the Catholic Education Commission of Western Australia (CECWA) convened five sub-committees to advise and assist the CECWA across the many diverse and important aspects of Catholic education. The sub-committees are:
- Aboriginal Community Sub-Committee
- Audit and Risk Sub-Committee
- Catholic Education Community Sub-Committee
- Curriculum Sub-Committee, and
- Finance Sub-Committee.
The Standing Orders for Sub-Committees of the Catholic Education Commission of Western Australia contain information relevant for all sub-committees. Each sub-committee is tasked with overseeing, monitoring and providing strategic system and policy direction across its focus areas, in accordance with the priorities of the CECWA.
Information regarding the former Standing Committee structure is linked below:
Aboriginal Community Sub-Committee
The Aboriginal Community Sub-Committee is convened to:
- Bring an Aboriginal perspective to the work of Catholic Education in Western Australia
- Ensure the Church’s mission is lived in providing access to quality education for Aboriginal children in Western Australia, and
- Promote Aboriginal participation, inclusivity and mutual understanding in the wider community.
The Chair of the Aboriginal Community Sub-Committee is Associate Professor Clive Walley.
Audit and Risk Sub-Committee
The Audit and Risk Sub-Committee is convened to oversee risk, mitigate against it and ensure the compliance and sustainability of the Catholic education system in Western Australia.
The Chair of the Audit and Risk Sub-Committee is Father Michael Morrissey.
Catholic Education Community Sub-Committee
The Catholic Education Community Sub-Committee is convened to oversee the sustainability of the Catholic education system according to the priorities of CECWA. It will monitor and evaluate the key factors that define a Catholic education system, especially the development of its people and faith communities; and ensure the system’s ability to sustain and deliver a strong Catholic identity and mission to serve its diverse communities.
This Sub-Committee guides the direction of system growth, ensuring the system has the quality faith formed staff, professional leadership and relationships to deliver Catholic education; and that investment is directed towards the goals of sustainability, accessibility, affordability and diversity.
The Chair of the Catholic Education Community Sub-Committee is Mrs Sonia Faccin Nolan.
The Curriculum Sub-Committee is convened to ensure a Catholic vision of the human person underpins processes and priorities within CEWA and that our flourishing system:
- Educates the whole person ensuring that the integration of Faith and life, and Faith and Culture underpins what is taught
- Forms Christian men and women committed to Jesus Christ and His Gospel, and to love, compassion and justice
- Meets (and exceeds) parental, church and regulatory expectations, and makes a distinctive contribution to the provision of excellence in Catholic education, and
- Encourages and benefits from system-wide learning and cooperation.
The Chair of the Curriculum Sub-Committee is Dr Joan Squelch.
The Finance Sub-Committee is convened to ensure the financial sustainability of the Catholic education system in Western Australia. It monitors the system’s finances (including all incorporated associations) according to the priorities of CECWA, which includes providing guidance and/or recommendations to the CECWA on:
- Finance strategy development and sustainability
- System debt policies and processes
- System financial reporting framework (CEWA system, CECWA, CEWA office and schools), and
- Budget policies and processes.
The Chair of the Finance Sub-Committee is Professor Glennda Scully.