The Catholic Education Commission of Western Australia (CECWA) was established to ensure that Bishops Mandate for Catholic Education is implemented throughout Western Australia. The CECWA is responsible to the Bishops’ Conference of Western Australia to fulfil the Terms of Reference contained within the Mandate: http://internet.ceo.wa.edu.au/AboutUs/Pages/Bishops-Mandate.aspx
The CECWA will:
- Foster the continuous development and improvement of Catholic schools and act on behalf of the Catholic community for the benefit of all Catholic school-aged children.
- Generate official policy statements and also assist individual Bishops with schools in their own diocese.
- Continue to recognise and make provision for religious institutes that operate Catholic schools in Western Australia and will respect their particular charisms.
These responsibilities are exercised through Catholic Education Western Australia in Perth and its regional offices in Broome, Bunbury and Geraldton.
The Terms of Reference of the CECWA specify that in complying with these broad directives the CECWA will witness to and proclaim its commitment to Jesus Christ and to the truths and values of God’s Kingdom; operate in accord with the principle of subsidiarity; and keep itself informed of major church and government statements on education, integrating these into its own activities. The CECWA continues with a long-standing endeavour to ensure Catholic education is available to all children of Catholic parents who seek such an education for their children.
The current membership of the CECWA is:
- Bishop Gerard Holohan – Chair
- Dr Tim McDonald – Deputy Chair
- Dr Debra Sayce
- Bishop Don Sproxton
- Sr Marion Beard
- Br Kevin Paull
- Mr Wayne Bull
- Mrs Helen O’Toole
- Mrs Helen Anderson
- Mr Paul Rafferty
- Dr Chris Hackett
- Associate Professor Clive Walley –Chair Aboriginal Community Sub-Committee
- Fr Michael Morrissey – Chair Audit and Risk Sub-Committee
- Dr Joan Squelch – Chair, Curriculum Sub-Committee
- Mrs Sonia Faccin Nolan – Chair Catholic Education Community Sub-Committee
- Professor Glennda Scully – Chair Finance Sub-Committee
Commissioners are appointed for a three-year term and are eligible for reappointment for a second term.